Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Sports Today : Wed 8-18-04

The only sport I really talk about with anyone is Baseball. Don't even mention football to me, which I consider a complete waste of time - I consider it a rich man's game for whiny cry-babies. So don't ask me about football. Don't comment about football. I just don't care. I have been an Oakland A's fan since I was about 10 years old, I remember going to games as a kid and seeing Lansford, Rickey, Eckersley, etc. (Guess how old I am...) After the strike 10 years ago, I got fed up and pissed off with baseball and swore I would never follow it again. For some reason, I just couldn't get it out of my mind, and sure enough back in 2000 I started following the A's and baseball again. My favorite teams are the Oakland A's and the Minnesota Twins. Both teams work with small budgets, small markets, and continue to be top contenders year after year. But of course, I am and Oakland A's fan first and foremost. Tonight the A's came from behind and swept the Orioles with a 5-4 win. The big hero Durazo - the guy went 4-for-4 with 3 HR and drove in ALL 5 OF THE A'S RUNS !!! I love Durazo, I think he is a pretty underrated player and I have a feeling the A's will say goodbye to him next year, which is too bad. Mulder got slammed around quite a bit the first 3 innings, but stayed in and shut down the Orioles for the next 5 innings. The game really picked up my day. There is nothing like watching a good game on TV - regardless of the sport - and the feeling you get when "your" team wins. It can cure just about any bad day blues : "Damn, I got fired today, but at least the A's won...." "Hey honey, we're $10,000 overdrawn on our checking account, but the A's just won...." "Some kid totalled our car and he has no insurance, but the A's just clobbered the Angels...." Ok. maybe not every bad day blues. maybe just some....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home