Thursday, April 20, 2006

April 20, 2006: vs Detroit

I couldn't post on the game cause I was at work. Sorry I don't have the kind of job where I can surf all day on the internet posting on my blogs.

Zito was all over the place today, a balk, 2 HBP, and throwing a lot of pitches high. However, he was also lucky, getting 3 double plays. Don't get the wrong idea; I really like Zito, but I have never thought he was an "Ace", he is a workhorse who has never missed a start or spent time on the DL and will consistently pitch +200 innings per season. Just don't expect another Cy Young, sub-3.00 ERA season, I just don't see it happening.

Pitching 7 innings and allowing only 1 earned run, the ball was turned over to the bullpen. Kennedy and Calero were great and then The Duke came in - and turned in a very un-Dukelike performance, walking 2 and allowing 3 earned runs, which allowed Detroit to take the lead in the 9th inning. Oakland managed to load the bases in the bottom of the ninth, but Melhuse struck out to end the game.

On a positive note, Chavez hit a double and had 2 walks, bringing his OBP up to a respectable 0.361. And Swisher, while not getting a hit, actually showed some plate discipline as well with 2 walks, bringing his walk total for the season to an unbelievable 3!!

Mark Ellis's average is back down below 0.200 and poor Dan Johnson went 0 for 3. If things don't change soon, he could find himself back in AAA Sacramento to get his groove back, which I am sure he doesn't want.

And Street has a sore muscle, so we might be without his services for a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home