Friday, April 14, 2006

April 13, 2006: vs Minnesota Twins

Ok, so my post is a day late, sorry. Day games are tough for me to cover because I am at work and don't really have time to update like I should. Also I got home last night with a splitting headache, so I skipped any blogging.

Score: Oakland 2, Minnesota 8

Blanton: 6 IP, 11 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR
A rough outing for Blanton, but c'mon: you didn't really expect him to pitch the same as he did against Seattle, did you? Especially this early in the season. I agree he got roughed up a bit, but am not concerned as he had such a stellar outing last week. Blanton is still very young, this is only his second year, so expect some ups and downs. It is nice to see Blanton throwing strikes, he has 10 SO now over 14 IP with a 1.14 WHIP. Hopefully he can throw some more strikes his next game while cutting back on the hits.

Swisher: 2 for 4 with a 2B
Swisher has been on fire lately and as usual, Macha is trying to take advantage of his hot bat. While the work ethic that Swisher has put into his batting, concentrating on going the other way, is a welcome sign, I doubt that he can keep up his torrid hitting streak. Eventually pitchers will adjust or Swisher will go through a slump, so don't get used to a 0.323 BA for too long. That being said, I think he will definitely improve over last year, I just don't know how long he will stay hot.

The Big Hurt was also 2 for 4 with a 2B, let's hope this is a sign he is coming out of his slumber.

Dan Johnson can't be this bad for so long. He is too good of a hitter to remain hitless forever. Macha should keep trying to fit him in somewhere in hopes of him getting a hit. My fear is that the longer he goes hitless, the more frustrated he will become which will make him even worse. Hang in there DJ, we're pulling for you.

And despite what many think of Kendall I think he is going to have a great year. Give him some time, he'll warm up and be back to hitting 0.300 again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home