Saturday, October 15, 2005

He's baaaack : Macha comes crawling back to Beane - get ready for another 3 years


I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. After interviewing for the Pittsburgh Pirates manager job and watching it go to Tracy, Macha suddenly realized that maybe he wasn't as hot a commodity as he thought he was and came crawling back to Billy Beane. I would say more except Athletics Nation has already said it :

They were discussing it on KNBR and many think that it was Billy Beane who
relented and realized he made a mistake letting Macha go. I personally
think that Macha suddenly realized that his only option was the A's or
unemployment. So, I imagine the conversation went something like this:
Macha: "Hi Betty, is Billy in?"
Betty: "Who is this?"
Macha: "It's Ken. Ken Macha."
Betty: "Geren, stop
playing around."
Macha: "No, really, it's Ken. Can I just talk
to him please?"
Betty: "OK, please hold."
Hold music plays New
Edition's Home Again.Billy picks up.
Beane: "Is this really
Macha?"Macha: "Yeah, Billy it's me."
Beane: "Ken, I've got
interviews with DeFrancesco and Hershiser coming up. I don't really have
time to chat."
Macha: "Billy, you remember the time when I brought
Rincon in to face Todd Walker in the Boston series the second time and he hit
another home run?"
Beane: "Ken, the whole world remembers that."
Macha: "Well, I think I made a big mistake again. I really never
wanted to leave Oakland, except that Pittsburgh job was so appealing. I
interviewed and they realized they wanted Jim Tracy instead."
Beane:
"Hoofah, how bad is it when Pittsburgh doesn't want you? What's your
point, Ken?"
Macha: "I want a chance to finish what I started and I'll
accept your original offer."
Beane: "Ken, this is going to look bad
for everyone involved. We publicly claimed it was over. We're going
to start to look like Pam Anderson and Tommy Lee."
Macha: "I'm OK with
that. I just want my job back."
Beane: "All right, I guess.
Man, Washington and Geren are going to be pissed."
Macha: "Don't
worry, my calm demeanor will help rub off on them."
Beane: "That's
what I'm afraid of."

I feel bad for Geren and Washington, both who supposedly interviewed for the A's managing job on Wednesday. The A's easily could have promoted from within, having lots of solid choices in Washington, Geren, or even Lachemann.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't have any ill feelings toward Macha, I don't think he is a great manager but I certainly don't think he is a bad manager. Overall he does a decent job although I question some of his bullpen moves. But I think everyone, myself included, had resigned themselves to the fact that Macha had moved on and we were getting a fresh new manager. All I can say for Macha is that he is lucky he came back because he most likely would have been without a job otherwise.

Hope you are ready for another 3 years of Macha.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MACHAAAAA MACHAAAAAA this is your conscience... remember me? take my advice, cash in your social security benefits.

4:38 PM  
Blogger The Smithy said...

We can only dream......

Poor Washington. He deserves a manager's job, and I am afraid he will have to leave the A's to get one.

Boy if I was Washington and Geren I'd be pissed right now.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home